6.05.2008

Ubuntu 8.04 Dual Monitors

After quite a bit of searching, It works. Dual monitors on Ubuntu using an ATI Fire GL 3100. One monitor VGA, the other DVI. I can drag windows back and forth between monitors, and so far I'm quite happy. Once I found the necessary guides to get it going it was actually very easy to do. I used the following, the first to install the fgrlx proprietary ATI driver, and the second to configure xorg.conf using aticonfigure.

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Hardy_Installation_Guide

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=301941

Right now I'm still running from the Wubi install that I did, I'll probably do a fresh install this weekend and hose XP, or dual boot if I decide by then I'd still like to have it around.

On other notes, very easy to get mp3, m4a, avi to play. Google Desktop Search has a nice debian package that installs easily. Firefox 3 beta 5 is included and runs very nicely so far.

Overall, once I found the right guides to follow to get it setup, it was very easy to do.

No comments: